[openstack-dev] [cinder][nova]Move encryptors to os-brick

Ben Swartzlander ben at swartzlander.org
Thu Dec 3 18:44:44 UTC 2015

On 12/03/2015 07:40 AM, Duncan Thomas wrote:
> On 3 December 2015 at 11:14, Li, Xiaoyan <xiaoyan.li at intel.com
> <mailto:xiaoyan.li at intel.com>> wrote:
>
>     Just to clear the data operations cinder needs to touch plaintext
>     data are:
>       1) Create volume from glance image
>       2) Create glance image from volume
>       3) Retype encrypted volumes. That is to change a volume from
>     unencrypted to encrypted, or vice visa.
>
>     Backup/Restore doesn't need to decrypt data.
>

> Backup / restore doesn't currently decrypt the data. There are some
> people commenting that it is not useful for DR work to have a backup
> that requires keys from a key service that is itself not backed up, so
> there may be some proposal incoming about not encrypting backups, or
> else giving them their own key rather than require access to the
> original volume key during restore - needing that access also makes
> things like re-keying the original volume difficult/impossible.
>
> Again, we have multiple use-cases for encryption, and they are not all
> going to be solved by solved by draconian dictates that there shall only
> be one way of doing things.

There are other very good reasons for multiple encryption keys for
different purposes. Client side data encryption is known to prevent
server-side compression and deduplication technologies from working at
all, and it makes backups wildly less efficient. The upshot is that if
choose to do implement security by encryption everything in the guest or
hypervisor rather than in the storage controller, you're going to spend
a ton more on disks.

Assuming your threat model involves evil people sniffing network wires,
and pulling disks from machines in the datacenter, rather than assuming
to storage admin himself is evil, you can devise schemes that involve
separate encryption for in-flight data and at-rest data which allow the
storage controller to do compression and deduplication and store your
data in both a secure AND EFFICIENT manner.

The above isn't a future fantasy -- there are storage controllers that
do this TODAY with unmodified cinder and nova. You just need a storage
controller that features full-disk-encryption and also transport level
security (such as blocks over Kerberized NFS) as well as the compression
and deduplication technologies which are quickly becoming standardized.

-Ben