[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Bug deputy process

Kyle Mestery mestery at mestery.com
Thu Dec 3 16:29:30 UTC 2015

On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 10:49 AM, Armando M. <armamig at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi neutrinos,
>
> It's been a couple of months that the Bug deputy process has been in place
> [1,2]. Since the beginning of Mitaka we have collected the following
> statistics (for neutron and neutronclient):
>
> Total bug reports: 373
>
>    - Fix committed: 144
>    - Unassigned: 73
>       - New: 17
>       - Incomplete: 20
>       - Confirmed: 27
>       - Triaged: 6
>

> At first, it is clear that we do not fix issues nearly as fast as they
> come in, but at least we managed to keep the number of unassigned/unvetted
> bugs relatively small, so kudos to you all who participated in this
> experiment. I don't have data based on older releases, so I can't see
> whether we've improved or worsened, and I'd like to ask for feedback from
> the people who played with this first hand, especially on the amount of
> time that has taken them to do deputy duty for their assigned week.
>
>    - ihrachys
>    - regXboi
>    - markmcclain
>    - mestery
>    - mangelajo
>    - garyk
>    - rossella_s
>    - dougwig
>
> Many thanks,
> Armando

I've found the process to be super useful. I found that by volunteering to
be the bug deputy it forced me to spend about an hour a day going through
incoming bugs. But the result is faster triage, and I was able to point
some bugs directly at people for quick resolution. Thanks for driving this
important initiative!

One concern I have is ensuring we rotate people, because it does take some
time, and if the same handful of rotate, they will burn out. So I actively
encourage more people to volunteer, you don't even have to be a Neutron
core reviewer to do this!

Thanks!
Kyle