[openstack-dev] [nova] [ironic] Hardware composition

Dmitry Tantsur dtantsur at redhat.com
Wed Dec 2 15:28:32 UTC 2015

On 12/01/2015 02:44 PM, Vladyslav Drok wrote:
> Hi list!
>
> There is an idea of making use of hardware composition (e.g.
> http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/rack-scale-architecture/intel-rack-scale-architecture-resources.html)
> to create nodes for ironic.
>
> The current proposal is:
>
> 1. To create hardware-compositor service under ironic umbrella to manage
> this composition process. Its initial implementation will support Intel
> RSA, other technologies may be added in future. At the beginning, it
> will contain the most basic CRUD logic for composed system.

My concern with this idea is that it would have to have its own drivers,
maybe overlapping with ironic drivers. I'm not sure what prevents you
from bringing it into ironic (e.g. in case of ironic-inspector it was
problems with HA mostly, I don't see anything that bad in your proposal).

> 2. Add logic to nova to compose a node using this new project and
> register it in ironic if the scheduler is not able to find any ironic
> node matching the flavor. An alternative (as pointed out by Devananda
> during yesterday's meeting) could be using it in ironic by claims API
> when it's implemented (https://review.openstack.org/204641).
>
> 3. If implemented in nova, there will be no changes to ironic right now
> (apart from needing the driver to manage these composed nodes, which is
> redfish I beleive), but there are cases when it may be useful to call
> this service from ironic directly, e.g. to free the resources when a
> node is deleted.

That's why I suggest just implementing it in ironic.

As a side note, some people (myself included) would really appreciate
notifications on node deletion, and I think it's being worked on right now.