[openstack-dev] [Horizon][Neutron] dashboard repository for neutron subprojects

Akihiro Motoki amotoki at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 08:23:13 UTC 2015

Thanks all.
All comments so far are from neutron side. I would like to wait inputs
from horizon side, especially David.

Option (c) is what we do in neutron sub-projects under neutron stadium model and
I agree it makes sense and sounds natural to neutron folks.

My initial mail just did not cover technical points or horizon
developer perspective
if we go to option (c). Let me share them.

[Horizon developer perspective]

I think we need some collaboration points between neutron subprojects
and horizon team (+ UX team).
to share knowledge or conventions in the dashboard development.
Not so many neutron developers are aware of horizon side changes, so I
think Horizon side
needs to care of these repositories to some extent for better UX
consistency or framework changes.

We are going to the self-management models in individual repos, so I believe
each team watches horizon side changes to some extent, and keep their
dashboard up-to-date.

>From Horizon point of view, it seems good to me if the following are done:

- Use a consistent directory name for a dashboard support in each
repository (e.g., "dashboard")
  Gerrit support filename based query, so it allows horizon developers
can reach dashboard related reviews.
- Keep up-to-date Horizon plugin registry
http://docs.openstack.org/developer/horizon/plugins.html
- Use horizon plugin model rather than adhoc approach
- Documentation on config options (at now, horizon does not support
oslo.config generator)

[Technical topics]

- We need to have two testing setup for both neutron and horizon.
  I think most dashboard tests depend on Horizon (or at least Django)

- Does (test-)requirements.txt contain neutron and horizon dependencies?
  For horizon itself, perhaps no. Our test tool chains should install horizon
  as we do for neutron dependency.
  For other requirements, I am not sure at this moment.

- Separate translation support for dashboard and server code.
  Django and oslo.i18n (python gettext) use different approach to find
translation catalog,
  so we need to prepare a separate tool chain for both translation catalog.
  It requires the infra script change.

  # Normal Horizon plugin translation support is an ongoing effort,
  # but option (c) needs extra effort.

[Packaging perspective]

I am not sure how it affects.
There is one concern as a package consumer.

> Getting additional packages through distro channels can be surprisingly difficult for new packages. :/

How neutron team can answer to this?
I think it is not specific to neutron subproject dashboard discussion.
Neutron stadium mode already has this problem.
Input from packaging side would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Akihiro