[openstack-dev] [nova] [ironic] Hardware composition

Andrew Laski andrew at lascii.com
Tue Dec 1 20:07:14 UTC 2015

On 12/01/15 at 03:44pm, Vladyslav Drok wrote:
>Hi list!
>
>There is an idea of making use of hardware composition (e.g.
>http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/rack-scale-architecture/intel-rack-scale-architecture-resources.html)
>to create nodes for ironic.
>
>The current proposal is:
>
>1. To create hardware-compositor service under ironic umbrella to manage
>this composition process. Its initial implementation will support Intel
>RSA, other technologies may be added in future. At the beginning, it will
>contain the most basic CRUD logic for composed system.
>
>2. Add logic to nova to compose a node using this new project and register
>it in ironic if the scheduler is not able to find any ironic node matching
>the flavor. An alternative (as pointed out by Devananda during yesterday's
>meeting) could be using it in ironic by claims API when it's implemented (
>https://review.openstack.org/204641).

I don't think the logic should be added to Nova to create these nodes.
This hardware-compositor looks like a hypervisor that can manage the
subdivision of a set of resources and exposes them as a "virtual
machine" in a sense.  So I would expect that work to happen within the
virt driver as it does for all of the others.

The key thing to work out is how to expose the resources for the Nova
scheduler to use.  I may be simplifying the problem but it looks like
the pooled system could be exposed as a compute host that can be
scheduled to, and as systems are composed from the pool the consumed
resources would be decremented the same as they're done today.