[openstack-dev] [ceilometer][aodh][vitrage] Raising custom alarms in AODH

Julien Danjou julien at danjou.info
Tue Dec 1 13:24:42 UTC 2015

On Tue, Dec 01 2015, AFEK, Ifat (Ifat) wrote:

> In Vitrage, we would like to evaluate and correlate different kinds of alarms:
> AODH threshold alarms, event alarms, Nagios alarms, Ganglia alarms, Zabbix
> alarms, etc. This includes alarms on physical resources that are not part of
> OpenStack, like switches or ports, in order to understand their effect on
> OpenStack resources.
>
> Our question is: do you vision AODH as a "general OpenStack alarm engine",
> which serves as a database for alarms of all kinds? Or does AODH focus on
> metric-related alarms?

I think we would be happy to have any kind of alarm supported in Aodh.
Though currently I'm not really seeing what is missing since we have
evaluation based alarms and event based alarms.

Aodh is also meant to be generic enough to be consumed outside of
OpenStack itself – it works pretty well in standalone with Gnocchi for
example.

--
Julien Danjou
// Free Software hacker