[openstack-dev] Encouraging first-time contributors through bug tags/reviews

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue Dec 1 09:38:19 UTC 2015

sean roberts wrote:
> Being successful at your first patch for most people means that their
> first effort is different than an a regular patch.
>
> Identifying abandoned work more quickly is good. It doesn't help the
> first timer.
>
> Tagging low hanging fruit for first timers I like. I'm recommending we
> add a mentor as part of the idea, so the project mentor is responsible
> for the work and the first timer learning.

I also tend to prefer mentoring to posting detailed instructions to
follow to fix a given bug. The issues you can encounter while pushing a
patch are varied, so a bit more hand-holding is valuable. It also makes
for a better inter-personal experience to interact with a human on IRC
vs. interacting with step-by-step instructions posted on a bug.

So low-hanging-fruit tagging + available mentors sounds like a powerful
combination.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)