[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Evolving the stadium concept

Doug Wiegley dougwig at parksidesoftware.com
Tue Dec 1 05:35:23 UTC 2015

> [...]
>>
>> So my question is: would revisiting/clarifying the concept be due after some time we have seen it in action? I would like to think so. To be fair, I am not sure what the right answer is, but I know for a fact that some iterations are in order, and I like to make a proposal:
>>
>> I would like to suggest that we evolve the structure of the Neutron governance, so that most of the deliverables that are now part of the Neutron stadium become standalone projects that are entirely self-governed (they have their own core/release teams, etc). In order to denote the initiatives that are related to Neutron I would like to present two new tags that projects can choose to label themselves with:
>>

> Interesting proposal, and I’m just thinking out loud here. I’m generally in favor of separating the governance as we separate the dependencies, just because at some point what we’re doing doesn’t scale. To provide a little context, there are two points worth keeping in mind:
>
> - The neutron stadium actually slightly pre-dates the big tent, and works around some earlier governance friction. So it may make less sense now in light of those changes.
>
> If my memory doesn't fail me, the first time I recall of talks about the big tent is September 2014, in this email thread:
>
> http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2014-September/046437.html <http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2014-September/046437.html>
>
> So, no I don't think we were a novelty :)
>

> - Many of the neutron subprojects *MUST RELEASE IN LOCKSTEP WITH NEUTRON* to be useful. These items are less useful to be considered standalone, as they need general oversight, co-gating, and such, to stay sane. As we break the massive coupling that exists, this point will get less and less relevant.
>
> I don't think that requires the oversight of a single individual, but you're right that this point will fade away over time.
>

> - I think that part of the initial intent was that these small subprojects would have their own core teams, but be able to take advantage of the infrastructure that exists around neutron as a whole (specs, release team, stable team, co-gates, mentors).
>
> For your proposal, are you suggesting:
>
> 1. That these projects are fully separate, with their own PTLs and everything, and just have tags that imply their neutron dependency?  OR,
>
> My point is: the project decides what's best, I don't have to have an opinion :)

I don’t think you *have* to have an opinion in either scheme. That sounds self-imposed. Delegate it.

> If they want to signal a relationship with Neutron they can do so by choosing one of the two tags being proposed.
>
> 2. That they stay stadium projects, but we use tags to differentiate them? Many already have different core teams and their own specs process.
>
> Must there be a place where we are together that is not OpenStack already? And what would that together mean exactly? That's the conundrum I am trying to move away from....
>

> Are there particular projects that add more overhead? Does your proposal make it easier to get code to our user base? Does it add a bunch of makework to fit into a new model (same question, really). Is the PTL overhead too high currently? Is the shed pink or blue?  :-)
>
> Not sure what you're asking: this isn't just about overhead to a single or a small group of people. It's about arranging ourselves the best way possible in order to deal with growth: if there were to be an upper limit to the amount of projects we have to deal with, then things would be easier to predict and manage, but we're far from having that in sight, I think.

Right, I’m asking you what the day-to-day pain points are *today* from your perspective. Because we don’t see them the way that you do, and it’s very hard to evaluate what makes sense for growth without knowing the actual constraints. I’m interested in what’s not working, or where you see load increasing.

We expected some release team efficiency with subprojects, is that not what we’re seeing?

We expected mostly separate core teams that wouldn’t impact neutron, are we seeing something different?

When we kicked drivers/plugins out of tree, we offered an “official” openstack repo to the tiny single dev drivers that likely wouldn’t make it in the tent; has that offer/desire changed?

I expect that the launchpad/bug load might be increasing linearly; that joint bug bucket might not make any sense, regardless of the decision here.

Do we envision an evolution of things splitting as they get bigger, or just blowing the concept up and going back to experimental or tent?

>> 'use-neutron-system': this means that the project provides networking services by using a pre-deployed end-to-end neutron system as is. No modifications whatsoever.
I think this one might be covered by requirements.txt.

Thanks,
doug