[openstack-dev] [ironic] final release in Liberty cycle

Jim Rollenhagen jim at jimrollenhagen.com
Mon Aug 31 20:25:58 UTC 2015

On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 10:53:43PM -0400, Ruby Loo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As (most of) you are aware, in this cycle, ironic decided to switch to a
> feature-based release model[0].
>
> Our first semver release, 4.0.0, was tagged this week but a few more things
> need to be ironed out still (hopefully there will be an announcement about
> that in the near future).

Yep -- expect a 4.1.0 release this week or next.

> What I wanted to mention is that according to the new process, there will
> be a final release of ironic that coincides with the Liberty coordinated
> release. The current plan is to cut a 4.1.0 release around Liberty RC1,
> which will become our stable/liberty branch. According to the schedule[1],
> that would most likely happen the week of September 21 or thereabouts.
> We'll have a better idea as we get closer to the date.

I spoke with Doug Hellman this afternoon. From a release management
perspective, they are treating any release that includes compatible
dependency updates (requirements.txt) as a minor version release. Since
we stay pretty on top of these updates, we should probably expect most
releases will be a minor bump, except for quick bug fixes. So, the
stable/liberty will likely be based on 4.2.0.

> It isn't clear to me how ironic is affected by the DepFreeze[2] and the
> global requirements. Maybe someone who understands that part, could
> explain. (And perhaps how the new ironic-lib fits into this freeze, or not.)

After speaking with Doug, it sounds like we will be affected by this.
The Dep Freeze isn't only for stabilizing projects, it also helps the
gate and more importantly downstream packagers. The freeze gives them a
signal of what to package with enough time to do it, and any exception
will set them back.

This also includes ironic-lib (and even moreso, since they'll be
cautious with releasing OpenStack libraries during the freeze). So we
should probably wait to land any patches that use ironic-lib code until
after the stable/liberty branch is created.

// jim