[openstack-dev] [ANN] OpenStack Kilo on Ubuntu fully automated with Ansible! Ready for NFV L2 Bridges via Heat!

Kevin Carter kevin.carter at RACKSPACE.COM
Mon Aug 31 17:07:02 UTC 2015

Thiago, Sorry for not replying inline, OWA is all I have access to today.

We too have the ability to run everything on an AIO (all in one) which can be accomplished with a single command:

---
# Command to run an AIO
bash <(curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/stackforge/os-ansible-deployment/master/scripts/run-aio-build.sh)
---

Documentation on building a development stack [0] - Official documentation that we've been maintaining [1]

This AIO process is what we do to test gating on every commit made to the upstream project and it creates several dummy interfaces to make it mimic a real world deployment, even if its on a single host, and has the ability to test clustered Galera, Rabbit, Repos, etc...

If you don't want to use our containerized architecture you don't have to. Simply set the flag `is_metal: true` within the conf.d items that you don't want to run within a container. Information on how this can be done can be read / seen here: [2]  -- essentially, set that flag and all container creates / management will be ignored. This option can be set to various group types and can be mixed/matched as you see fit.

We are not using Ubuntu packages or any OpenStack packages from any distro; in truth, we have no intention to do so, unless there's someone within the community that wants to contribute and maintain that type of deployment. We've found that we're able to ensure better consistency and stability when using source. Additionally, we can test/implement upstream bug/security fixes faster without having to wait on package fixes from the distros or having to deal with some of the brokenness they've provided.

As for backporting fixes or custom code you OSAD can help you do that already by simply maintaining your own git sources. The OSAD project is able to build from and use just about anything. This is enabled and covered here: [3] I'd be happy to cover more of that if it would be of interest to you. IMHO building form git in this manner will help with many of the packaging problems that can arise from using the PPA system.

We do not support OvS yet. However, we'd love someone to come along and want to contribute some bits to make it supportable. The framework itself is robust enough to support a variety of network providers but as I've mentioned before, we simply need contributors whom want to see these types of features within the project, PRs are always welcome.

Thiago, stop by the #openstack-ansible IRC channel there's almost always someone in channel and we'd be happy to help answer any of the questions that you or your team may have and if there's sufficient interest I'm sure we can align on some of your goals to progress our collective projects.

--

Kevin Carter
IRC: cloudnull

[0] - https://github.com/stackforge/os-ansible-deployment/blob/master/development-stack.rst