[openstack-dev] Tracing a request (NOVA)

Vedsar Kushwaha vedsarkushwaha at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 04:00:05 UTC 2015

*i just want to understand as to how the request goes from the api-call to
the nova-api and so on after that.*
To answer "so on after that", in addition to josh answer, you can also look
into
http://ilearnstack.com/2013/04/26/request-flow-for-provisioning-instance-in-openstack/
.

Now to answer first part, "i just want to understand as to how the request
goes from the api-call to the nova-api":
You can look into *http://developer.openstack.org/api-ref.html
<http://developer.openstack.org/api-ref.html>*, particularly in
*http://developer.openstack.org/api-ref-compute-v2.1.html

On Sat, Aug 29, 2015 at 8:39 AM, Joshua Harlow <harlowja at outlook.com> wrote:

> I made the following some time ago,
>
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/RunInstanceWorkflows
>
> https://wiki.openstack.org/w/images/a/a9/Curr-run-instance.png
>
> That may be useful for u, (it may also not be that up to date),
>
> Cheers,
>
> Josh
>
> Dhvanan Shah wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to trace a request made for an instance and looking at the
>> flow in the code.
>> I'm just trying to understand better how the request goes from the
>> dashboard to the nova-api , to the other internal components of nova and
>> to the scheduler and back with a suitable host and launching of the
>> instance.
>>
>> i just want to understand as to how the request goes from the api-call
>> to the nova-api and so on after that.
>> I have understood the nova-scheduler and in that, the filter_scheduler
>> receives something called request_spec that is the specifications of the
>> request that is made, and I want to see where this comes from. I was not
>> very successful in reverse engineering this.
>>
>> I could use some help as I want to implement a scheduling algorithm of
>> my own but for that I need to understand how and where the requests come
>> in and how the flow works.
>>
>> If someone could guide me as to where i can find help or point in some
>> direction then it would be of great help.
>> --
>> Dhvanan Shah

Vedsar Kushwaha
SDE at Amazon Development Center