[openstack-dev] [neutron] 40% failure on neutron python3.4 tests in the gate

Salvatore Orlando salv.orlando at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 17:50:50 UTC 2015

On 28 August 2015 at 16:57, Sean Dague <sean at dague.net> wrote:

> On 08/28/2015 11:20 AM, Assaf Muller wrote:
> > To recap, we had three issues impacting the gate queue:
> >
> > 1) The neutron functional job has had a high failure rate for a while
> > now. Since it's impacting the gate,
> > I've removed it from the gate queue but kept it in the Neutron check
> queue:
> > https://review.openstack.org/#/c/218302/
> >
> > If you'd like to help, the the list of bugs impacting the Neutron
> > functional job is linked in that patch.
> >
> > 2) A new Tempest scenario test was added that caused the DVR job failure
> > rate to sky rocket to over 50%.
> > It actually highlighted a legit bug with DVR and legacy routers. Kevin
> > proposed a patch that skips that test
> > entirely until we can resolve the bug in Neutron:
> > https://review.openstack.org/#/c/218242/ (Currently it tries to skip the
> > test conditionally, the next PS will skip the test entirely).
> >
> > 3) The Neutron py34 job has been made unstable due to a recent change
> > (By me, yay) that made the tests
> > run with multiple workers. This highlighted an issue with the Neutron
> > unit testing infrastructure, which is fixed here:
> > https://review.openstack.org/#/c/217379/
> >
> > With all three patches merged we should be good to go.
>
> Well, with all 3 of these we should be much better for sure. There are
> probably additional issues causing intermittent failures which should be
> looked at. These 3 are definitely masking anything else.

Sadly, since the issues are independent, it is very likely for one of the
patch to fail jenkins tests for one of the other two issues.
If the situation persists is it crazy to conside switching neutron-py34 and
neutron-functional to non-voting until these patches merge.
Neutron cores might abstain from approving patches (unless trivial or
documentation) while these jobs are non-voting.