[openstack-dev] [api] [wsme] [ceilometer] Replacing WSME with _____ ?

Julien Danjou julien at danjou.info
Fri Aug 28 15:32:44 UTC 2015

On Fri, Aug 28 2015, Chris Dent wrote:

> This morning I kicked off a quick spec for replacing WSME in
> Ceilometer with ... something:
>
>     https://review.openstack.org/#/c/218155/
>
> This is because not only is WSME not that great, it also results in
> controller code that is inscrutable.
>
> The problem with the spec is that it doesn't know what to replace
> WSME with.
>
> So, for your Friday afternoon pleasure I invite anyone with an
> opinion to hold forth on what framework they would choose. The spec
> lists a few options but please feel to not limit yourself to those.
>
> If you just want to shoot the breeze please respond here. If you
> have specific comments on the spec please response there.

For Gnocchi we've been relying on voluptuous¹ for data validation, and
Pecan as the rest of the framework – like what's used in Ceilometer and
consors.

I find it a pretty good option, more Pythonic than JSON Schema – which
has its pros and cons too.

What I'm not happy with is actually Pecan, as I find the routing system
way too much complex in the end. I think I'd prefer to go with something
like Flask finally.

> P.S: An option not listed, and one that may make perfect sense for
> ceilometer (but perhaps not aodh), is to do nothing and consider the
> v2 api "legacy".

This is going to happen in a few cycles I hope for Ceilometer.

¹  https://pypi.python.org/pypi/voluptuous

--
Julien Danjou
# Free Software hacker