[openstack-dev] [nova] testing for setting the admin password via the libvirt driver

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri Aug 28 08:27:55 UTC 2015

On Tue, Aug 25, 2015 at 09:14:33AM -0500, Matt Riedemann wrote:
> Support to change the admin password on an instance via the libvirt driver
> landed in liberty [1] but the hypervisor support matrix wasn't updated [2].
> There is a version restriction in the driver that it won't work unless
> you're using at least libvirt 1.2.16.
>
> We should be able to at least update the hypervisor support matrix that this
> is supported for libvirt with the version restriction.  markus_z actually
> pointed that out in the review of the change to add the support but it was
> ignored.

Yes, in that case, it'd be appropriate to update the support matrix and
add in a footnote against it mentioning the min required version.

> The other thing I was wondering about was testing.  The check/gate queue
> jobs with ubuntu 14.04 only have libvirt 1.2.2.
>
> There is the fedora 21 job that runs on the experimental queue and I've
> traditionally considered this a place to test out libvirt driver features
> that need something newer than 1.2.2, but that only goes up to libvirt
> 1.2.9.3 [3].
>
> It looks like you have to get up to fedora 23 to be able to test this
> set-admin-password function [4].  In fact it looks like the only major
> distro out there right now that supports this new enough version of libvirt
> is fc23 [5].
>
> Does anyone fancy getting a f23 job setup in the experimental queue for
> nova?  It would be nice to actually be able to test the bleeding edge
> features that we put into the driver code.

F23 is not released yet so may have instability which will hamper running
gate jobs. The other alternative is to setup a stable Fedora release
like F22, and then enable the VirtPreview repositor which gives you newer
set of the virt toolchain from F23/rawhide. This should be more stable
than running entire of F23/rawhide distro.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Virtualization_Preview_Repository

Regards,
Daniel