[openstack-dev] [Heat] convergence rally test results (so far)

Angus Salkeld asalkeld at mirantis.com
Fri Aug 28 01:35:52 UTC 2015

Hi

I have been running some rally tests against convergence and our existing
implementation to compare.

So far I have done the following:

   1. defined a template with a resource group
   https://github.com/asalkeld/convergence-rally/blob/master/templates/resource_group_test_resource.yaml.template
   2. the inner resource looks like this:
   https://github.com/asalkeld/convergence-rally/blob/master/templates/server_with_volume.yaml.template
(it
   uses TestResource to attempt to be a reasonable simulation of a
   server+volume+floatingip)
   3. defined a rally job:
   https://github.com/asalkeld/convergence-rally/blob/master/increasing_resources.yaml
that
   creates X resources then updates to X*2 then deletes.
   4. I then ran the above with/without convergence and with 2,4,8
   heat-engines

Here are the results compared:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12kRtPsmZBl_y78aw684PTBg3op1ftUYsAEqXBtT800A/edit?usp=sharing

Some notes on the results so far:

   -  convergence with only 2 engines does suffer from RPC overload (it
   gets message timeouts on larger templates). I wonder if this is the problem
   in our convergence gate...
   - convergence does very well with a reasonable number of engines running.
   - delete is slightly slower on convergence

Still to test:

   - the above, but measure memory usage
   - many small templates (run concurrently)
   - we need to ask projects using Heat to try with convergence (Murano,
   TripleO, Magnum, Sahara, etc..)

Any feedback welcome (suggestions on what else to test).

-Angus