[openstack-dev] [Fuel] How much do we rely on dnsmasq?

Andrey Danin adanin at mirantis.com
Fri Aug 28 00:27:24 UTC 2015

Hi, Sean,

Dnsmasq is managed by Cobbler. Cobbler may also manage isc-dhcpd + BIND
[0]. So, switching from dnsmasq requires 2 more services been installed. I
think it's not a big deal to a update Cobbler container. The most work will
be in adding ipv6 support into everything: fuelmenu, Nailgun/UI, a lot of
Puppet modules, especially L23network module, OSTF. Also, it doubles QA
efforts.

Other questions come up. Do we want to support dual stack too? When a user
will choose an IP version: once during master node installation or it'll be
allowed to switch over in any moment?

[0] http://cobbler.github.io/manuals/2.6.0/3/4/2_-_Managing_DNS.html

On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 10:06 PM, Sean M. Collins <sean at coreitpro.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I wanted to ask if we have any opinions on dnsmasq, since I am doing
> some hacking on adding IPv6 support to fuel, for the provisioning stage.
>
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/216787/
>
> Depending on if dnsmasq supports DHCPv6 options for PXE booting, we may
> need to investigate replacing it with isc-dhcpd. Which is no small task,
> I can imagine.
>
> The spec review has links to a post I made on the dnsmasq mailing list
> to see if there is anyone there that can answer my question.
>
> --
> Sean M. Collins

Andrey Danin
adanin at mirantis.com