[openstack-dev] [nova] periodic task

Gary Kotton gkotton at vmware.com
Thu Aug 27 06:22:06 UTC 2015

On 8/25/15, 2:43 PM, "Andrew Laski" <andrew at lascii.com> wrote:

>On 08/25/15 at 06:08pm, Gary Kotton wrote:

>>>For the HA case #1, the periodic task checks to see if the instance.host
>>>doesn't match the compute service host [1] and skips if they don't
>>>match.
>>>
>>>Shouldn't your HA scenario be updating which host the instance is
>>>running on?  Or is this a vCenter-ism?
>>
>>The nova compute node has not changed. It is not the compute nodes host.
>>The host that the instance was running on was down and those instances
>>were moved.
>
>So this is a case where a single compute node is managing multiple
>hypervisors?  It sounds like there is an assumption being made in the
>periodic task that doesn't hold true for the VMware driver, that a
>request for the power state of an instance would fail if the host was
>down.  This may be a better fix here: to not sync the state if the host
>is down.
>

>>For libvirt the same issues could happen if a process goes down and is
>>restarted (there may be some race conditions). But I am not familiar
>>enough with the ins and outs there. Just the fact that suggesting in some
>>cases that people disable the periodic task indicates that this too is an
>>issue.
>>
>>But seriously, we need this and the change is non intrusive, configuarble
>>and backwards compatible. Honestly I see no reason why this is bing
>>blocked.
>
>The change seems to be under discussion here because this is adding more
>complexity to an already quite complex method.  I believe the desire is
>to find a model that simplifies, or at least doesn't add to the
>complexity of, the way that syncs are handled.

I am not sure I understand what extra complexity is being added here - the
patch in review just logs a message to the log file instead of stopping a
running instance.

How do you guys suggest that we move forwards with this. At the moment the
code is blocked and this is a real problem in deployment.

BTW I do not think that this is specific for the Vmware driver - it is
just that we hit it first :)