[openstack-dev] [nova] CI for reliable live-migration

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Aug 26 15:18:21 UTC 2015

On 8/26/2015 3:21 AM, Timofei Durakov wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Here is the situation: nova has live-migration feature but doesn't have
> ci job to cover it by functional tests, only
> gate-tempest-dsvm-multinode-full(non-voting, btw), which covers
> block-migration only.
> The problem here is, that live-migration could be different, depending
> on how instance was booted(volume-backed/ephemeral), how environment is
> configured(is shared instance directory(NFS, for example), or RBD used
> to store ephemeral disk), or for example user don't have that and is
> going to use --block-migrate flag. To claim that we have reliable
> live-migration in nova, we should check it at least on envs with rbd or
> nfs as more popular than envs without shared storages at all.
> Here is the steps for that:
>
>  1. make  gate-tempest-dsvm-multinode-full voting, as it looks OK for
>     block-migration testing purposes;

If it's been stable for awhile then I'd be OK with making it voting on
nova changes, I agree it's important to have at least *something* that
gates on multi-node testing for nova since we seem to break this a few
times per release.

>  2. contribute to tempest to cover volume-backed instances live-migration;

jogo has had a patch up for this for awhile:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/165233/

Since it's not full time on openstack anymore I assume some help there
in picking up the change would be appreciated.

>  3. make another job with rbd for storing ephemerals, it also requires
>     changing tempest config;

We already have a voting ceph job for nova - can we turn that into a
multi-node testing job and run live migration with shared storage using
that?

>  4. make job with nfs for ephemerals.

Can't we use a multi-node ceph job (#3) for this?