[openstack-dev] [fuel] Branching strategy vs feature freeze

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Wed Aug 26 10:04:42 UTC 2015

Dmitry Borodaenko wrote:
> TL;DR was actually hidden in the middle of the email, here's an even
> shorter version:
>
> 0) we're suffering from closing master for feature work for too long
>
> 1) continuously rebased future branch is most likely a no-go
>
> 2) short FF (SCF and stable branch after 2 weeks) is an option for 8.0
>
> 3) short FF with stable in a separate internal gerrit was also proposed
>
> 4) merits and cost of enabling CI setup for private forks should be
> carefully considered independently from other options

Should come as no surprise that I encourage you to follow (2),
especially as we work to further align Fuel with OpenStack ways so that
it can be added as an official project team.

Note that the "two weeks" is not really a hard requirement (could be
more, or less). In this model you need to come up with a release
candidate, which is where we create the release branch, which becomes a
stable branch at the end of the cycle. It usually takes 2 to 4 weeks for
OpenStack projects to get to that stage, but you could get there in 2
days or 5 weeks and it would still work (the key is to publish at least
one release candidate before the end of the cycle).

It's a balance between the pain of backporting fixes and the pain of
freezing master. At one point the flow of fixes slows down enough and/or
the pressure to unfreeze master becomes too strong: that's when you
should create the release branch.

Hope this helps,

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)