[openstack-dev] [release] Liberty release branches / [non] capping process

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue Aug 25 12:32:38 UTC 2015

Thierry Carrez wrote:
> [...]
> 1. Enable master->stable cross-check
> 2. Release Oslo, make stable branches for Oslo
> 2.1 Converge constraints
> 3. liberty-3 / FF / soft requirements freeze
> 4. hard requirements freeze
> 5. RC1 / make stable branches for services
> 6. Branch requirements, disable cross-check
> 7. Unfreeze requirements

I discussed this with Robert this morning on #openstack-relmgr-office
and it appears the plan is still valid. It was also confirmed in the
spec at
http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/openstack-specs/specs/requirements-management.html

> It still feels reasonable on the face of it, but we need to double-check
> it and expand on the details. In particular I'm wondering:
>
> * is there anything in the implemented constraints system that changes
> the deal here ?

No. Some jobs are not running under the constrained dep system yet, but
that doesn't make the plan invalid.

> * Is the new constraints system already set up to work on the upcoming
> stable/liberty branches ?

We need to double-check, but by default the stable/liberty code branches
should test with master requirements until stable/liberty requirements
are branched out, at which point it should test stable/liberty code with
stable/liberty requirements.

> * what did we exactly mean by "master->stable cross-check" ?

For completeness, during the transition period (when we use master
requirements for both master and stable/liberty branches) we need a job
to gate proposed master requirements changes on stable/liberty test jobs
in addition to master test jobs. Otherwise we may introduce a change in
master requirements that breaks stable code branches.

Once we have stable/liberty requirements branched out, we don't need
that job anymore.

> * what did we exactly mean by "Converge constraints" ?

We need to merge any lingering requirements bump in projects, before we
create stable/liberty branches for them.

> With liberty-3 / FF being Thursday next week, we need to start
> implementing steps 1, 2 and 2.1 in the next 10 days, so we need to
> urgently check that this is still a valid plan (and any implementation
> detail).

The most urgent is to figure out if we can have a master->stable
cross-check enabled before we start cutting stable/liberty branches.
Plan B (if we can't) is to apply extra caution to any master
requirements change during the overlap period, without the gate safety net.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)