[openstack-dev] [Ironic] Command structure for OSC plugin

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Mon Aug 24 19:56:51 UTC 2015

Excerpts from Brad P. Crochet's message of 2015-08-24 15:35:59 -0400:
> On 24/08/15 18:19 +0000, Tim Bell wrote:
> >
> >From a user perspective, where bare metal and VMs are just different flavors (with varying capabilities), can we not use the same commands (server create/rebuild/...) ? Containers will create the same conceptual problems.
> >
> >OSC can provide a converged interface but if we just replace '$ ironic XXXX' by '$ openstack baremetal XXXX', this seems to be a missed opportunity to hide the complexity from the end user.
> >
> >Can we re-use the existing server structures ?
> >
> >Tim
>
> To my knowledge, overriding or enhancing existing commands like that
> is not possible.

You would have to do it in tree, by making the existing commands
smart enough to talk to both nova and ironic, first to find the
server (which service knows about something with UUID XYZ?) and
then to take the appropriate action on that server using the right
client. So it could be done, but it might lose some of the nuance
between the server types by munging them into the same command. I
don't know what sorts of operations are different, but it would be
worth doing the analysis to see.

Doug