[openstack-dev] [requirements] modifying the 'is it packaged' test

Dave Walker email at daviey.com
Fri Aug 21 23:50:44 UTC 2015

On 22 August 2015 at 00:04, Matthew Thode <prometheanfire at gentoo.org> wrote:
> On 08/21/2015 05:59 PM, Robert Collins wrote:
>> On 22 August 2015 at 10:57, Matthew Thode <prometheanfire at gentoo.org> wrote:
>>> Packaging for us is fairly easy, but it is annoying to have to add 5-6
>>> deps each release, (which means we are adding cruft over time).
>>
>> We're adding functionality by bringing in existing implementations.
>> Surely thats better than reinventing *everything* ?
>>
>> -Rob
>>
> totally, more of a minor annoyance :P

A strong reason that requirements was created was to give distros a
voice and avoid incompatible versions, which was more of a problem for
distros than it was for each different service at that point.

I'm not sure that a requirement has ever been not included because it
*wasn't* packaged, but perhaps because it *couldn't* be packaged.  Is
there an example that has caused you to raise this?

The is-it-packaged-test was added at a time where large changes were
happening in OpenStack right up to the (release) wire and cause scary
changes for distros that were tracking the release.  Now, Feature
development has become more mature with the scary stuff being front
loaded, I'm not quite sure this is such a problem.

The release schedule used to document a DepFreeze[0] to avoid nasty
surprises for distros, which used to be at the same point of
FeatureFreeze[1].  This reference seems to have been removed from the
last few cycles, but I would suggest that it could be re-added.

[0] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/DepFreeze
[1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/FeatureFreeze

--
Kind Regards,