[openstack-dev] [Resend] [api] Who owns API versioning and deprecation policy?

Everett Toews everett.toews at RACKSPACE.COM
Fri Aug 21 21:10:06 UTC 2015

On Aug 21, 2015, at 3:13 PM, Geoff Arnold <geoff at geoffarnold.com> wrote:

> After reading the following pages, it’s unclear what the current API deprecation policy is and who owns it. (The first spec implies that a change took place in May 2015, but is silent on what and why.) Any hints? An authoritative doc would be useful, something other than an IRC log or mailing list reference.
>
> Geoff
>
> http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/api-wg/guidelines/evaluating_api_changes.html
>
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/API_Working_Group
>
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Application_Ecosystem_Working_Group

The API Working Group does.

Guidelines for microversioning [1] and when to bump a microversion [2] are currently in review. Naturally your feedback is welcome.

We have yet to provide guidance on deprecation. If you’d like to create a guideline on deprecation, here’s How to Contribute [3]. If you want to throw some ideas around we’re in #openstack-api or feel free to drop by one of our meetings [4].

Everett

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/187112/
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/187896/
[3] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/API_Working_Group#How_to_Contribute