[openstack-dev] [requirements] modifying the 'is it packaged' test

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Thu Aug 20 03:24:03 UTC 2015

We currently have a test where we ask if things are packaged in
distros. http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/requirements/tree/README.rst#n268

I think we should modify that, in two ways.

The explanation for the question ignores a fairly large audience of
deployers who don't wait for distributions - so they too need to
package things, but unlike distributions packaging stuff is itself
incidental to their business, rather than being it. So I think we
should consider their needs too.

Secondly, all the cases of this I've seen so far we've essentially
gone 'sure, fine'. I think thats because there's really nothing to
them.

So I think the test should actually be something like:
Apply caution if it is not packaged AND packaging it is hard.
Things that make packaging a Python package hard:
 - nonstandard build systems
 - C dependencies that aren't already packaged
 - unusual licences

E.g. things which are easy, either because they can just use existing
dependencies, or they're pure python, we shouldn't worry about.

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>
Distinguished Technologist