[openstack-dev] [glance] [nova] Image Prefetching – Precaching

Alberto Geniola albertogeniola at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 18:30:05 UTC 2015

Hi everyone,

This is my first email to the OS developer forum, so forgive me if I
misplaced the subject tags J.

Straight to the point: for a project we’re involved in, we think that a
pre-fetcher mechanism would be great for a variety of use cases. There was
an attempt with this blueprint:

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/nova-image-cache-management-2

and a more recent one:

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/python-novaclient/+spec/prefetch-image

although both seems to be dead now.

So I really want to get a feedback from the developer’s community whether
(1) such a feature makes sense in general, and (2) it may be worth the
integration of such a component in the OpenStack code. In fact, although we
can solve our problem by developing an in-house component, it would be
better to have it integrated in OpenStack, including Nova and Horizon, so I
need the feedback from the OS Guru guys J.

What do you think?

--
Dott. Alberto Geniola

  albertogeniola at gmail.com