[openstack-dev] [stable] [infra] How to auto-generate stable release notes

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue Aug 18 16:56:12 UTC 2015

On 2015-08-18 10:34:35 +0200 (+0200), Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Dave Walker wrote:
[...]
> > Maybe this is a perfect use-case for git-notes?  This means the commit
> > itself isn't touched and the non-scale git-tag space isn't wasted?
>
> It definitely seems to be the perfect match: adding notes to commits
> lets us document release notes both during and after backports, without
> altering commit messages.
>
> The trick is that like git tags, git notes do not appear to be
> code-reviewable using Gerrit, they are directly pushed by people with
> Push Refs rights (or by Gerrit itself on merge to store approval
> details). So ideally we want to generate them from properly
> code-reviewed data.
[...]

Well, that's not the _only_ challenge with git notes. Unlike tags,
they're not easily cloned/fetched from a remote (you need to modify
your local configuration to explicitly fetch their refspace).

> Then pbr would just parse git notes instead of commit messages to
> generate releasenotes files in the code tarballs.

It strikes me as an over-specialized feature for PBR. Basically
unless the end user modifies their local Git configuration, they
won't have a copy of these Git notes and so their PBR-generated
release notes would be substantially more hollow (or nonexistent?)
than those we're publishing. We can of course work around this in
our own automation, but at that point why bother to teach PBR about
Git notes at all?
--
Jeremy Stanley