[openstack-dev] [nova] Silent nova fails

Timofei Durakov tdurakov at mirantis.com
Mon Aug 17 11:59:04 UTC 2015

Hello,

In current design there are places when nova fails while executing users
CLI commands, but no error messages, except some logs in nova-compute,
produced [1] . The problem is that there is no response from compute node
to conductor, as RPC cast is used.

To fix this nova should make a synchronous call before operation itself to
verify that it is valid. E.g. here is my patch that fixes this problem in
resize operation [2]

So, I would like to get feedback about such hypervisor checks before
operations. Nova already makes these checks during live-migration process:
conductor calls compute manager[3], which also consults with driver[4]. And
as for me I think we should use such logic in resize operation.

Timofey.

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1455460

[2] https://review.openstack.org/195088

[3]