[openstack-dev] [devstack] Possible issues cryptography 1.0 and os-client-config 1.6.2

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Mon Aug 17 09:06:44 UTC 2015

On 17 August 2015 at 20:45, Jesse Pretorius <jesse.pretorius at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Do we want to make it a default to True for users of DevStack? I think
>> > it
>> > may be worth considering since I'm not familiar with this issue with
>> > crypto
>> > and having something that protects devs who are trying to work on stuff
>> > and
>> > using DevStack , sounds good. Less cryptic day to day breakage for new
>> > developers just getting started and using DevStack is a goal I have,
>> > long
>> > term (where possible).
>> >
>> > Putting it another way, do you believe that *not* using constraints is
>> > the
>> > exception, not the norm?
>>
>> I think it would make sense to promote this to defaut.... now that
>> we've had it in place for a month without the world ending; and now
>> that we've got the updates and syncing with new releases all moving
>> smoothly.
>

> Would it not make better sense to set this as a default in devstack (so all
> developers aren't stuck with the same problem), but then also ensure that
> there is at least one gate check which does not use it so that issues with
> newer libraries outside of the constraints are uncovered.
>
> I see this as a way of keeping the development moving, but also uncovering
> upstream bugs which the smaller community of developers who work on upstream
> libraries can work to resolve.

If any gate check is unprotected, the gate will wedge when there are
problems. We already have, as described in this thread, positive
pressure to move forward. If you want to help us move forward, keep an
eye on the changes in that queue - such as
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/213606/.

Of course, if there is something the current mechanism doesn't do, I
and many others will be delighted to discuss how to improve it or
alter the setup, but what you propose seems to be strictly less good
and offer no benefits.

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>