[openstack-dev] [UX] [Keystone] [Horizon] Pagination support for Identity dashboard entities

Morgan Fainberg morgan.fainberg at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 22:30:37 UTC 2015

> On Aug 14, 2015, at 15:10, Jay Pipes <jaypipes at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 08/14/2015 05:24 PM, Adam Young wrote:
>>> On 08/14/2015 12:43 PM, Michael Krotscheck wrote:
>>> 1- Do users want to page through search results?
>> Does not matter:  in Federation, the User list is not available.
>
> OK, so hobble the entire REST API for the deficiencies/architecture/reality of a single authentication/identity strategy.
>
>>> 2- Do users want to page through filter results? (do they use filter
>>> results?)
>> This is the only practical tool available for LDAP.
>
> Again, hobble the entire API for the deficiencies and anachronisms of a single identity driver.

The SQL driver is at best a toy and should go away. We are working diligently to provide the best solution for the small and large deployments and provide features we are regularly asked for (password lifecycle, complexity, better user management, etc).

Again I will reiterate, asking for "every user that could have an assignment" is absurd. You should search for specific users if you need for find a user without an assignment (they can't access keystone or auth or act on OpenStack anyway). You should look at active assignments and we can implement pagination for that.

It wont be a /users API call.

>>> 3- If they want to page, do they want to be able to go back a page
>>> and/or know their current page?
>>> 4- How much do users care about small data inconsistencies (i.e.
>>> ordering of record sets changing from page-to-page).
>>
>> So, yeah, we could support paging for SQL.
>
> That would be great. Double bonus if this pagination API followed the examples of all the other OpenStack API services and didn't invent its own terms (page, per_page...).

I really do not want implementation details to be the cause of a massive UX change. Lets avoid doing that yet again in OpenStack. Asking horizon to have two completely different mechanisms based on what backend is following a poor design pattern we keep falling into where we expect the user to figure out/know what is different between deployments.