[openstack-dev] [Stable][Nova] VMware NSXv Support

John Garbutt john at johngarbutt.com
Wed Aug 12 17:39:04 UTC 2015

Apologies to go back in time in the tread, but I wanted to share some
extra context...

On 10 August 2015 at 16:17, Gary Kotton <gkotton at vmware.com> wrote:
> I agree that the sub team(s) need to review more.
>
> The question is how do the team member feel like they are making progress?
> That is, do they see patches
> Land. Do they receive postive feedback from cores that things are good,
> bad or ugly?

I have tried to write up why I think everyone should do more reviews:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Nova/Mentoring#Why_do_code_reviews_if_I_am_not_in_nova-core.3F

> I think that the PTL should assign at least 2 cores to each sub team. Let
> the team have accountability. Without that there is no way of getting
> anything done and we are back in the same spot.
>
> Without that we are just doing more of the same.

The current plan (started at beginning of liberty) is to get subteams
to help focus the core review effort by tell us what patches they have
reviewed already, and think are the most important:
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/liberty-nova-priorities-tracking

This worked well in kilo for the priorities and trivial patches. We
are trying to extend it. I am regularly asking all cores to prefer
review patches listed in the etherpad. It appears this is now starting
to happen, slowly.

I hope that recommendation becomes trusted enough to mean more than
just "please review me":
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Nova/Liberty_Release_Schedule#Subteam_recommendation_as_a_.2B2

Thanks,
John

PS
A poor summary of some of the related discussions in the past, can be
found here:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Nova/Liberty_Release_Schedule#Splitting_out_the_virt_drivers_.28or_other_bits_of_code.29