[openstack-dev] [Magnum] Obtain the objects from the bay endpoint

Akash Gangil akashg1611 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 08:37:42 UTC 2015

Hi,

I have a few questions. inline.

> Problem :-
>
> Currently objects (pod/rc/service) are read from the database. In order
> for native clients to work, they must be read from the ReST bay endpoint.
> To execute native clients, we must have one truth of the state of the
> system, not two as in its current state of art.

What is meant by the "native" clients here? Can you give an example?

A]  READ path needs to be changed :

> 1. For python clients :-
>
> python-magnum client->rest api->conductor->rest-endpoint-k8s-api handler
>
> In its present state of art this is python-magnum client->rest api->db
>
> 2. For native clients :-
>
> native client->rest-endpoint-k8s-api

If native client can get all the info through the rest-endpoint-k8s
handler, why in case of magnum client do we need to go through rest-api->
conductor? Do we parse or modify the k8s-api data before responding to the
python-magnum client?

> B] WRITE operations need to happen via the rest endpoint instead of the
> conductor.

If we completely bypass the conductor, is there any way to keep a track of
trace of how a resource was modified? Since I presume now magnum doesn't
have that info, since we talk to k8s-api directly? Or is this irrelevant?

> C] Another requirement that needs to be satisfied is that data returned by
> magnum should be the same whether its created by native client or
> python-magnum client.

I don't understand why is the information duplicated in the magnum db and
k8s data source in first place? From what I understand magnum has its own
database which is with k8s-api responses?

> The fix will make sure all of the above conditions are met.
>
> Need your input on the proposed approach.
>
> -Vilobh
>
> [1] *https://blueprints.launchpad.net/magnum/+spec/objects-from-bay*
> <https://blueprints.launchpad.net/magnum/+spec/objects-from-bay>

Akash