[openstack-dev] [neutron] Race conditions in fwaas that impact the gate

Sean M. Collins sean at coreitpro.com
Tue Aug 11 22:21:46 UTC 2015

Hello,

Today has been an exciting day, to say the least. Earlier today I was
pinged on IRC about some firewall as a service unit test failures that
were blocking patches from being merged, such as https://review.openstack.org/#/c/211537/.

Neutron devs started poking around a bit and discussing on the IRC channel.

http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-neutron/%23openstack-neutron.2015-08-11.log.html#t2015-08-11T16:59:13

I've started to dig a little bit and document what I've found on this
bug.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/neutron/+bug/1483875

There was a change recently merged in devstack-gate which changes the
MySQL database driver and the number of workers - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/210649/
which might be what is triggering the race condition - but I'm honestly
not sure.

I proposed a revert to a section of the FwaaS code, but frankly I'm not
sure if this will fix the problem - https://review.openstack.org/211677
- so I bumped it out of the merge queue when my anxiety reached maximum.
I'm just not confident enough about my knowledge of the FwaaS codebase
to really be making these kinds of changes.

Is there anyone that has any insights?

--
Sean M. Collins