[openstack-dev] [Stable][Nova] VMware NSXv Support

Gary Kotton gkotton at vmware.com
Tue Aug 11 15:39:24 UTC 2015

On 8/11/15, 6:09 PM, "Jay Pipes" <jaypipes at gmail.com> wrote:

>On 08/11/2015 10:57 AM, Gary Kotton wrote:

>>> [...]
>>>
>>> I'm still missing the connection to stable. That review is targeting
>>> master (liberty). Stable currently means backports to kilo or juno.
>>
>> The patch has a -2 for Liberty. So it means that is is blocked as it is
>> not a high priority nova BP. What does this mean, it means that nova
>>will
>> not be able to work with the neutron liberty plugin.
>>
>> This is exactly the same story that we had with the NSXv plugin. The
>>nova
>> stable kilo code will not work with the neutron stable kilo code.
>>
>> How can we as a community address this?
>>
>> Neutron enabled the community to develop at their own pace, whilst nova
>> still has us in chains.
>
>Well, inflammatory statements probably won't help the situation, Gary :)

Jay, that is really what I feel. I am sorry but there is no other way that
I can express myself.

>Are you saying that *new functionality* was added to the stable/kilo
>branch of *Neutron*, and because new functionality was added to
>stable/kilo's Neutron, that stable/kilo *Nova* will no longer work?

Yes. That is exactly what I am saying. The issues is as follows. The NSXv
manager requires the virtual machines VNIC index to enable the security
groups to work. Without that a VM will not be able to send and receive
traffic. In addition to this the NSXv plugin does not have any agents so
we need to do the metadata plugin changes to ensure metadata support. So
effectively with the patches: https://review.openstack.org/209372 and
https://review.openstack.org/209374 the stable/kilo nova code will not
work with the stable/kilo neutron NSXv plugin.

Now having said that I understand the issues with this maybe breaking the
stable back port rules. So the work around on my behalf was to update the
wiki - https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Neutron/VMware_NSX_plugins - and
whoever wants or needs this code can take the relevant patches. I guess
that each distrobution can you their discretion if they want to take this
or not - without it the plugin will not work.

Now, it is not worthwhile crying over spilt milk for the kilo stuff. That
boat has sailed. But for Liberty we need -
https://review.openstack.org/165750. If this does not land in L we are
going to be having the same thread again about 6 months time. This code is
blocked with a -2.

So what do you suggest?