[openstack-dev] [Stable][Nova] VMware NSXv Support

Gary Kotton gkotton at vmware.com
Mon Aug 10 15:03:35 UTC 2015

On 8/10/15, 5:46 PM, "Matt Riedemann" <mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:

>On 8/10/2015 9:17 AM, Gary Kotton wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I am not really sure what to say here. The code was in review for over 8
>> months. On a side note but related - we have a patch for a plugin
>> developed in Liberty - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/165750/. This
>>has
>> been in review since March. I really hope that that lands in Liberty. If
>> not we will go through the same thing again.
>> Working in Nova on code that is self contained within a driver is
>> difficult - terribly difficult. Not only is this demotivating, it also
>> effectively does not help any of the drivers actually add any features.
>> A sad day for OpenStack.
>> Thanks
>> Gary
>>
>> On 8/5/15, 4:01 PM, "Ihar Hrachyshka" <ihrachys at redhat.com> wrote:

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I think Erno made a valid point here. If that would touch only vmware
>>> code, that could be an option to consider. But it looks like both
>>> patches are very invasive, and they are not just enabling features
>>> that are already in the tree, but introduce new stuff that is not even
>>> tested for long in master.
>>>
>>> I guess we'll need to wait for those till Liberty. Unless
>>> nova-core-maint has a different opinion and good arguments to approach
>>> the merge.
>>>
>>> Ihar

>https://review.openstack.org/#/c/165750/ is a feature add but it's not
>targeted against a blueprint, so it's just running as a random thing
>outside any tracking mechanism for features (launchpad).
>
>Salvatore made some comments back in March but otherwise no one from the
>VMware development team has even commented on this.  As I've said in
>some other VMware patches in Nova lately, I expect the VMware sub-team
>to be doing a better job of reviewing each other's code first since they
>are supposed to be the subject matter experts here.
>
>I know Gary reviews pretty much all of the changes that go into the
>VMware driver in Nova but I don't see the same reciprocated from other
>members of that team which I think also slows down development - and it
>impedes building a trust relationship between nova-core and the sub-team
>to be self-reviewing.

Matt, I understand that ask. In the past when the team has reviewed the
patches,
Trivial fixes have remained in review for months.

For example: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/186716/.

We are really between a rock and a hard place here. You yourself have also
stated that sometimes the review from sub-team members are ignored as they
are not ³trusted².

So please advise.