[openstack-dev] stable is hosed

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Mon Aug 10 00:09:13 UTC 2015

On 8 August 2015 at 08:52, Matt Riedemann <mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
> Well it's a Friday afternoon so you know what that means, emails about the
> stable branches being all busted to pieces in the gate.
>
> Tracking in the usual place:
>
> https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/stable-tracker
>
> Since things are especially fun the last two days I figured it was time for
> a notification to the -dev list.
>
> Both are basically Juno issues.
>
> 1. The large ops job is busted because of some uncapped dependencies in
> python-openstackclient 1.0.1.
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-gate/+bug/1482350
>
> The fun thing here is g-r is capping osc<=1.0.1 and there is already a 1.0.2
> version of osc, so we can't simply cap osc in a 1.0.2 and raise that in g-r
> for stable/juno (we didn't leave ourselves any room for bug fixes).
>
> We talked about an osc 1.0.1.1 but pbr>=0.11 won't allow that because it
> breaks semver.
>
> The normal dsvm jobs are OK because they install cinder and cinder installs
> the dependencies that satisfy everything so we don't hit the osc issue.  The
> large ops job doesn't use cinder so it doesn't install it.

> a) Somehow use a 1.0.1.post1 version for osc.  Would require input from
> lifeless.

This is really tricky. postN versions are a) not meant to change
anything functional (see PEP-440) and b) are currently mapped to devN
by pbr for compatibility with pbr 0.10.x which had the unenviable task
of dealing with PEP-440 going live in pip.

> b) Install cinder in the large ops job on stable/juno.

That would seem fine IMO.

> c) Disable the large ops job for stable/juno.

I'd rather not do this.

> 2. grenade on kilo blows up because python-neutronclient 2.3.12 caps
> oslo.serialization at <=1.2.0, keystonemiddleware 1.5.2 is getting pulled in
> which pulls in oslo.serialization 1.4.0 and things fall apart.
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/python-neutronclient/+bug/1482758
>
> I'm having a hard time unwinding this one since it's a grenade job.  I know
> the failures line up with the neutronclient 2.3.12 release which caps
> requirements on stable/juno:
>
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/204654/.
>
> Need some help here.

I think it would be entirely appropriate to bump the lower bound of
neutronclient in kilo: running with the version with juno caps *isn't
supported* full stop, across the board. Its a bug that we have a bad
lower bound there.

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>