[openstack-dev] [Congress] Mid-cycle sprint summary

Tim Hinrichs tim at styra.com
Sat Aug 8 04:39:54 UTC 2015

Hi all,

We just finished up a great 2 day sprint focusing on a new distributed
architecture for Congress.  Details can be found in the etherpad:

https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/congress-liberty-sprint

Here's the summary.

1. Architecture.  Each datasource driver will run in its own process; each
policy engine will run in its own process; the API will run in its own
process.  All processes will communicate using oslo-messaging.  We decided
to remove the functionality for creating/deleting datasources, since that
functionality will be handled by the operating system.

2. Blueprints.  The blueprints we created all start with "dist-".  Please
sign up if you're interested.  If you attended the sprint and volunteered
for a blueprint but did not sign up, please do so.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/congress

3. Code commits.  We're making changes in place on master.  The plan is to
make most of the changes without breaking existing functionality.  Then
there will be one or two changes at the end that swap out the current,
single-process architecture for the new, multi-process architecture.

4. Timelines.  We're hoping to have the basic functionality in place by
Tokyo.  We will release the current architecture for liberty and the new
architecture for M.

Thanks for a great sprint, everyone!

Let me know if you have questions.
Tim