[openstack-dev] [TripleO] [Puppet] [kolla] Deploying OpenStack with Puppet modules on Docker with Heat

Ryan Hallisey rhallise at redhat.com
Fri Aug 7 19:47:37 UTC 2015

> I have a few questions:

> * when do you run puppet? before starting the container so we can
> generate a configuration file?

We would run puppet before starting the container that way puppet can
generate the config and the container absorb it.

> * so iiuc, Puppet is only here to generate OpenStack configuration files
> and we noop all other operations. Right?

Correct.  So far this is the case.

> * from a Puppet perspective, I really prefer this approach:
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/197172/ where we assign tags to
> resources so we can easily modify/drop Puppet resources using our
> modules. What do you think (for long term)?

It's possible.  I'd have to look into this, but it's something we can
explore.

> * how do you manage multiple configuration files? (if a controller is
> running multiple nova-api containers with different configuration files?

In the heat template we could specify the exact config file to hand into
the container.  This is the same case for say neutron that has multiple
config files for a single service.

> Once I understand a bit more where we go, I'll be happy to help to make
> it happen in our modules, we already have folks deploying our modules
> with containers, I guess we can just talk and collaborate here.
> Also, I'll be interested to bringing containers support in our CI, but
> that's a next step :-)

Cool!  Will keep the thread posted on how the work progresses.
You can follow along with this patch: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/209505/1

-Ryan