[openstack-dev] [oslo][keystone] oslo_config and wsgi middlewares

Mehdi Abaakouk sileht at sileht.net
Thu Aug 6 17:03:08 UTC 2015

On Thu, Aug 06, 2015 at 04:25:58PM +0000, Michael Krotscheck wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> The most recent version of the CORS middleware (~2.4) no longer requires
> the use of Oslo.config, and supports pastedeploy. While using oslo.config
> provides far better features - such as multiple origins - it doesn't
> prevent you from using it in the paste pipeline. The documentation has been
> updated to reflect this.

Yes, but you can't use oslo.config without hardcode the loading the
middleware to pass the oslo.config object into the application.

> I fall on the operators side, and as a result feel that we should be using
> oslo.config for everything. One single configuration method across
> services, consistent naming conventions, autogenerated with sane options,
> with tooling and testing that makes it reliable. Special Snowflakes really
> just add cognitive friction, documentation overhead, and noise.

I'm clearly on the operator side too, and I just try to find a solution to
be able to use all middlewares without having to write code for each
in each application and use oslo.config. Zaqar, Gnocchi and Aodh are
the first projects that do to not use cfg.CONF and can't load many middlewares
without writing code for each. When middleware should be just something that
deployer enabled and configuration. Our middleware looks more like a lib
than a middleware)

(Zaqar, Gnocchi and Aodh have written hack for keystonemiddleware because
this is an essential piece but other middlewares are broken for them).

Cheers,
--
Mehdi Abaakouk
mail: sileht at sileht.net