[openstack-dev] [Security] Would people see a value in the cve-check-tool? (Reshetova, Elena)

Ian Cordasco ian.cordasco at RACKSPACE.COM
Wed Aug 5 15:04:15 UTC 2015

On 8/5/15, 08:14, "McPeak, Travis" <travis.mcpeak at hp.com> wrote:

>(Merging thread from security ML)
>
>Bandit probably isn¹t the correct integration point for this - cve-check
>has its own analysis procedures while
>Bandit uses Python AST.  Also I see the use workflows being different.
>For Bandit a developer/gate wants to
>check a specific code snippet whereas for cve-check to be effective it
>really needs to examine the entire
>dependency chain.
>
>As Rob and I mentioned earlier a gate process on ³openstack-requirements²
>seems like an ideal target for this.
>The idea would be anytime a requirement is added (for example to enable a
>newer version or an entirely new
>library to be used) we could run a cve-check job that ensures the new
>library (or version) doesn¹t have any
>known CVE¹s against it.  This way we can be covered across OpenStack
>(since OpenStack projects can¹t use
>Libraries that aren¹t in global requirements).  The gate processing time
>is minimal since it doesn¹t have to
>run for each project.

One point of clarification. Not every project has to opt into
global-requirements so this isn't necessarily true. Also with the merging
of the stackforge and openstack namespaces, it'll be harder to distinguish
when a project is or isn't using g-r since in the past it was fairly safe
to assume that stackforge/ projects were more likely to not use g-r.