[openstack-dev] [Cinder] A possible solution for HA Active-Active

Joshua Harlow harlowja at outlook.com
Tue Aug 4 15:34:52 UTC 2015

Philipp Marek wrote:
>> If we end up using a DLM then we have to detect when the connection to
>> the DLM is lost on a node and stop all ongoing operations to prevent
>> data corruption.
>>
>> It may not be trivial to do, but we will have to do it in any solution
>> we use, even on my last proposal that only uses the DB in Volume Manager
>> we would still need to stop all operations if we lose connection to the
>> DB.
>
> Well, is it already decided that Pacemaker would be chosen to provide HA in
> Openstack? There's been a talk "Pacemaker: the PID 1 of Openstack" IIRC.
>
> I know that Pacemaker's been pushed aside in an earlier ML post, but IMO
> there's already *so much* been done for HA in Pacemaker that Openstack
> should just use it.
>
> All HA nodes needs to participate in a Pacemaker cluster - and if one node
> looses connection, all services will get stopped automatically (by
> Pacemaker) - or the node gets fenced.
>

> No need to invent some sloppy scripts to do exactly the tasks (badly!) that
> the Linux HA Stack has been providing for quite a few years.
>

> Yes, Pacemaker needs learning - but not more than any other involved
> project, and there are already quite a few here, which have to be known to
> any operator or developer already.
>

> (BTW, LINBIT sells training for the Linux HA Cluster Stack - and yes,
>   I work for them ;)

So just a piece of information, but yahoo (the company I work for, with
vms in the tens of thousands, baremetal in the much more than that...)
hasn't used pacemaker, and in all honesty this is the first project
(openstack) that I have heard that needs such a solution. I feel that we
really should be building our services better so that they can be A-A vs
having to depend on another piece of software to get around our
'sloppiness' (for lack of a better word).

Nothing against pacemaker personally... IMHO it just doesn't feel like
we are doing this right if we need such a product in the first place.