[openstack-dev] [nova] Thoughts on things that don't make freeze cutoffs

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue Aug 4 10:54:34 UTC 2015

John Garbutt wrote:
> [...]
> Personally I find a mix of coding and reviewing good to keep a decent
> level of empathy and sanity. I don't have time for any coding this
> release (only a bit of documenting), and its not something I can
> honestly recommend as a best practice. If people don't maintain a good
> level of reviews, we do tend to drop those folks from nova-core.
>
> I know ttx has been pushing for dedicated reviewers. It would be nice
> to find folks that can do that, but we just haven't found any of those
> people to date.

Hell no! I'd hate dedicated reviewers.

I want everyone to be a reviewer and a commit author. It's the only way
to keep current on the code and relevant enough to be trusted for the
final +2s.

The trick is that given how wide and diverse Nova's code is, it's
impossible to be a reviewer / commit author / expert in all the Nova
things. If you slowly grew with Nova over the past years, you may have a
good grasp of most parts. But for newcomers, it's an impossible mountain
to climb, and they prefer to go to smaller projects. And as we burn out
old people with a giant set of reviews, we fail to replace them with new
blood.

This is why I advocate dividing code / reviewers / expertise along
smaller areas within Nova, so that new people can focus and become a
master again. What I'm pushing for is creating Nova subteams with their
own core reviewers, which would be experts and trusted to +2 on a
defined subset of code.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)