[openstack-dev] [devstack][neutron] How to give nested VM access to outside network?

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Tue Aug 4 04:07:39 UTC 2015

I'm running devstack in a VM (Fedora 21 host, EL 7.1.x VM) with a static
IP address (because dhcp was not working):

     cat > /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 <<EOF
DEVICE="eth0"
BOOTPROTO="static"
DHCPCLASS=
HWADDR=$VM_MAC
IPADDR=192.168.122.5
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
GATEWAY=192.168.122.1
ONBOOT=yes
NM_CONTROLLED=no
TYPE="Ethernet"
USERCTL="yes"
PEERDNS="yes"
DNS1="192.168.122.1"
IPV6INIT="no"
EOF

with Neutron networking enabled and Nova networking disabled:

[[local|localrc]]
IP_VERSION=4
ENABLED_SERVICES=g-api,g-reg,key,n-api,n-cpu,n-sch,n-cond,n-crt,n-novnc,mysql,rabbit,dstat,quantum,q-svc,q-agt,q-dhcp,q-l3,q-meta
SERVICE_HOST=127.0.0.1
NETWORK_GATEWAY=10.0.0.1
PUBLIC_NETWORK_GATEWAY=172.24.4.1

I've followed this some, but I don't want to use the provider network:
http://docs.openstack.org/developer/devstack/guides/neutron.html

I've hacked the floating_ips exercise to use neutron networking commands:

http://ur1.ca/ncjm6

I can ssh into the nested VM, I can assign it a floating IP.

However, it cannot see the outside world.  From it, I can ping the
10.0.0.1 network and the 172.24.4.1 network, and even 192.168.122.5, but
not 192.168.122.1 or anything outside of the VM.

route looks like this: http://ur1.ca/ncjog

ip addr looks like this: http://ur1.ca/ncjop

Here is the entire output of stack.sh:
https://rmeggins.fedorapeople.org/stack.out

Here is the entire output of the exercise:
https://rmeggins.fedorapeople.org/exercise.out