[openstack-dev] [nova][oslo][policy] oslo.policy adoption in Nova.

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Mon Aug 3 19:49:40 UTC 2015

Excerpts from Sergey Vilgelm's message of 2015-08-03 22:11:50 +0300:
> On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 9:37 PM, Doug Hellmann <doug at doughellmann.com> wrote:
>
> > Making that function public may be the most expedient fix, but the
> > parser was made private for a reason, so before we expose it we
> > should understand why, and if there are alternatives (such as
> > creating a fixture in oslo.policy to do what the nova tests need).
> >

> Probably we may extend the Rules class and add the similar functions as a
> classmethod?
> I've created a patch for slo.policy as example[1]

Well, my point was that the folks working on that library considered the
entire parser to be private. That could just be overly ambitious API
pruning, or there could be some underlying reason (like, the syntax may
be changing or we want apps to interact with APIs and not generate DSL
and feed it to the library). So we should find out about the reason
before looking for alternative places to expose the parser.

Doug