[openstack-dev] [nova] Thoughts on things that don't make freeze cutoffs

Jesse Cook jesse.cook at RACKSPACE.COM
Mon Aug 3 19:44:33 UTC 2015

On 7/29/15, 2:13 PM, "Matt Riedemann" <mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:

>We talked a bit about this at the nova mid-cycle last week but I can't
>say I completely remember all of the points made, since I feel like we
>talked ourselves into a circle that got us back to more or less 'the
>current specs and freeze process is the least of all evils so let's not
>change it'.
>
>Tomorrow is the feature freeze for nova but there is interest from a few
>people in getting rbd snapshot support into liberty.  The code is up for
>review [1] but the spec is not approved [2].
>
>With the process we have in place we can basically -2 this and say
>re-propose it for mitaka.
>
>One thing mentioned at the mid-cycle was what if people reviewed the
>spec and approved it, but marked the blueprint for 'next' so it's not
>actually tracked for liberty, but if the blueprint is approved and
>people are willing to review the code, it could land in liberty.
>
>The obvious downside here is the review burden, we have freeze deadlines
>in place to avoid a continual demand for feature review when we have
>bugs to fix before we release.  And it's not fair to the other people

Feel free to throw things at me, but is the primary responsibility of a
core reviewer to review things or fix things? Horizontal scaling requires
more reviewing. I like to imagine a world where core reviewers mentor and
review and the rest community writes most of the code. I assumed that was
part of the implicit contract of becoming a core reviewer. One alternative
solution is to make core reviewers for specs a different set (intersection
is acceptable) of people that spend even less time writing code.