[openstack-dev] [Manila] Midcycle meetup highlights

Ben Swartzlander ben at swartzlander.org
Mon Aug 3 17:27:31 UTC 2015

Thanks to all of those who attended the midcycle. We had more than 20
attendees this cycle and excellent participation -- also some new faces!

My apologies for the Google Hangouts failure. We ended up switching to
Webex for the audio/video conferencing and it scaled significantly
better. I expect that we'll be using Webex for future meetups as well so
if you have technical difficulties related to Webex, please try to get
them fixed or seek help from the rest of us. It *is* possible to get
webex to run on Linux but it's somewhat more complex.

Since we did not have a dedicated note taker there are no minutes for
the meetup, but I'll summarize what I consider to be the highlights:

Migration - Rodrigo (ganso) has done a great job of driving this
forward. The current patchset is based on share instances (a new concept
we decided to introduce earlier in the release to benefit both migration
and replication) and is ready for review. The feature will be considered
experimental in Liberty at best, due to some remaining unsolved
problems: 1) Share servers with segmented network interfaces can't be
directly mounted -- we need a new admin-facing network patch to support
this. 2) Data copy is done in the manager service and needs to be moved
to a data copy service for better scalability. 3) Generic driver needs
some work before it can support migrations.

Availability Zones - This was a feature which was proposed after
Vancouver. The design in Manila is largely inherited from Cinder, but
improvements have been made by Igor (u_glide). These are done and ready
to merge. AZs will benefit share replication and also give end users
control of the locality of their data w.r.t. consumers of the data
(compute instances).

Replication - I presented the current thinking on replication, which is
a significant deviation from what I presented in Vancouver. The changes
are all related to the significantly better user experience offered by
AZ support, and better implementation made possible by share instances.
There is a new API proposal, changes to the DB schema, and a draft
proposal for the driver interface. Work is proceeding on replication but
won't be mergeable until after the feature freeze so the plan is to land
the feature first thing in Mitaka.

Manila CI - We discussed the state of vendor CI, reiterating the
deadlines and offers for help. Andrew (akerr) presented how NetApp
implements their 3rd party CI system while Silvan (kaisers) presented an
alternative CI system called sos-ci written by Duncan (DuncanT) and John
(jgriffith).

Minimum Required Features - The key topic was snapshots and how vendors
support them. We decided to relax the requirement that all drivers
support the current snapshot API and to instead make the existing
snapshot API an optional feature in Liberty. This change was essential
to avoid needlessly removing several Manila drivers that implement the
API except for snapshots. We agreed to look at possible alternative
snapshot APIs in the future for snapshots that have different semantics,
including a possible revert-share-to-snapshot API and an API to directly
export snapshots as read-only shares (in Mitaka).

Tempest - Marc (mkoderer) gave an update on how the Tempest project is
evolving and now Manila can continue to use it for functional/scenario
tests.

Manauls - I declared that Liberty is the release where Manila will be
included in the OpenStack manuals (docs.openstack.org). Help will be
needed from the whole core team and others invested in the success of
Manila to meet this goal by the Liberty release.

API Microversions - Clinton (cknight) presented an example of the new
cross-project proposal for finer-grained versioning and described how
easy it will be to add this enhancement to Manila and how it will free
us up from having to make difficult API-compatibility decisions in the
future as we enhance the Manila API.

Versioned Objects - Chen (chen12) gave an update on this topic from
Vancouver and we agreed that it's a valuable feature to keep our eyes
on, but not something we want to aim for getting in to Liberty. The
existing nova work is not something we can borrow directly and the
Cinder work is ongoing. The team agreed that it would be better to see
how it turns out in Cinder before we copy the idea.

Driver Private Data - Igor (u_glide) presented this great enhancement
for drivers mostly to raise awareness of the cool driver features that
it enables. It was also suggested that this would be a great feature to
backport to Cinder.

Common Capabilities - We discussed how some very simple
capabilities/extra specs are already starting to have multiple
conflicting/confusing names and implementations and how we need to a
decision making process to enforce conformity for capabilities where
compatible implementations are possible. We agreed that the common
capabilities need to be written down in the dev docs and that thin/thick
provisioning and dedupe support will be the first "common" capabilities.
Common capabilities will be prefixed with "manila_" to communicate to
deployers that they are official.

Consistency Groups - Alex (ameade) presented an updated proposal for
cgroups based on Xing's (xyang) proposal in Vancouver. There was some
disagreement about the details but a lengthy discussion helped many
understand the feature better. Alex plans to deliver this feature in
Liberty so make sure to review it and provide feedback if cgroups are
interesting to you.

Hopefully I didn't forget anything important, please reply to the thread
if I left out a topic!

-Ben Swartzlander