[openstack-dev] [pbr] [stable] [infra] How to generate .Z version increments on stable/liberty commits

Ian Cordasco ian.cordasco at RACKSPACE.COM
Mon Aug 3 16:42:06 UTC 2015

On 8/3/15, 11:11, "Thierry Carrez" <thierry at openstack.org> wrote:

>Jeremy Stanley wrote:
>> On 2015-08-03 14:46:51 +0200 (+0200), Thierry Carrez wrote:
>> [...]
>>> In order to make this work, it looks like we'd require:
>>>
>>> * pbr changes so that it supports a mode where every commit on the
>>> branch increments .Z
>>>
>>> * infra changes to automatically push the corresponding tag when the
>>> commit is merged
>> [...]
>>
>> Note that these were alternatives: _either_ we need PBR to treat
>> commits as patch version increments (instead of as dev version
>> increments), _or_ we'd need a mechanism to automatically tag each
>> commit so that PBR will see the appropriate versions.
>
>I could see an implementation where we do both, though: PBR could
>idempotently yield the right version number, but we would still tag it
>in the repo for easier reference when looking at the git repository ?

Auto-tagging seems to be the least amount of work. That could be done as a
post-commit hook or post-receive (depending on where we implement it)
upstream.

Cheers,
Ian