[openstack-dev] [Cinder] A possible solution for HA Active-Active

Devananda van der Veen devananda.vdv at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 15:53:21 UTC 2015

On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 8:41 AM Joshua Harlow <harlowja at outlook.com> wrote:

> Clint Byrum wrote:
> > Excerpts from Gorka Eguileor's message of 2015-08-02 15:49:46 -0700:
> Cinder
> been
> without

> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> Since my original proposal was more complex that it needed be I have a
> >> new proposal of a simpler solution, and I describe how we can do it with
> >> or without a DLM since we don't seem to reach an agreement on that.
> >>
> >> The solution description was more rushed than previous one so I may have
> >> missed some things.
> >>
> >> http://gorka.eguileor.com/simpler-road-to-cinder-active-active/
> >>

> > I like the idea of keeping it simpler Gorka. :)
> >
> > Note that this is punting back to "use the database for coordination",
> > which is what most projects have done thus far, and has a number of
> > advantages and disadvantages.
> >
> > Note that the stale-lock problem was solved in an interesting way in
> Heat:
> > each engine process gets an "instance-of-engine" uuid that adds to the
> > topic queues it listens to. If it holds a lock, it records this UUID in
> > the owner field. When somebody wants to steal the lock (due to timeout)
> > they send to this queue, and if there's no response, the lock is stolen.
> >
> > Anyway, I think what might make more sense than copying that directly,
> > is implementing "Use the database and oslo.messaging to build a DLM"
> > as a tooz backend. This way as the negative aspects of that approach
> > impact an operator, they can pick a tooz driver that satisfies their
> > needs, or even write one to their specific backend needs.
>
> Oh jeez, using 'the database and oslo.messaging to build a DLM' scares
> me :-/
>
> There are already N + 1 DLM like-systems out there (and more every day
> if u consider the list at
> https://raftconsensus.github.io/#implementations) so I'd really rather
> use one that is proven to work by academia vs make a frankenstein one.

Joshua,

As has been said on this thread, some projects (eg, Ironic) are already
using a consistent hash ring backed by a database to meet the requirements
they have. Could those requirements also be met with some other tech? Yes.
Would that provide additional functionality or some other benefits? Maybe.
But that's not what this thread was about.

Distributed hash rings are a well understood technique, as are databases.
There's no need to be insulting by calling
not-your-favorite-technology-of-the-day a frankenstein one.

The topic here, which I've been eagerly following, is whether or not Cinder
needs to use a DLM *at all*. Until that is addressed, discussing specific
DLM or distributed KVS is not necessary.

Thanks,
-D