[openstack-dev] [stable] [infra] How to auto-generate stable release notes

Alexis Lee alexisl at hp.com
Mon Aug 3 14:46:22 UTC 2015

Thierry Carrez said on Mon, Aug 03, 2015 at 02:57:39PM +0200:
> 1. we can maintain a Changelog document directly in the source code.
> Rather than being straightly backported from master, commits with
> significant changes would be amended to additionally modify that document.

Wouldn't this cause a lot of rebasing as everyone tries to get in at the
top?

> 2. we come up with a keyword in commit messages ("ReleaseNotes:" ?) and
> amend only the commit message of significant backports. Automation picks
> up those and autogenerates a Release Notes document that gets included
> in generated source code tarballs.

Whichever solution we pick - should we also adopt it on master? Naively
it sounds useful to be able to generate release notes for master too.
And this avoids inconsistency between master and stable beyond that
required to rebase.

Explanations of the many ways I'm wrong are always appreciated.

Alexis
--
Nova Engineer, HP Cloud.  AKA lealexis, lxsli.