[openstack-dev] [swift] Go! Swift!

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Thu Apr 30 21:19:00 UTC 2015

On 1 May 2015 at 09:04, Dean Troyer <dtroyer at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 3:28 PM, Robert Collins <robertc at robertcollins.net>
> wrote:
>>
>> Blaming pip for our problems, when we haven't been willing to go and
>> contribute fixes to pip is massively unfair to the pip developers.
>

> So I _really_ do not blame pip, it is by far the best of the options, it is
> just (still) incomplete for our needs.  dstufft has been _very_ responsive,
> as you know first hand.  And he has brought pip far from where it was even a
> year ago.

Absolutely - kudos to dstufft et al :) My issue was more that we have
approx 1000 developers being impacted by this limitation in the core,
and we've collectively failed to organise even a tenth of a percent of
our effort to assist the developers of this tool we depend so heavily
on. Thats something I think we need to change.

> I guess I was commenting more on the general state of packaging in Python.
> When I first came to this community I never expected to find something (or
> multiple somethings!) that made CPAN look so good.  For an ecosystem as old
> as this one that surprised me.

I see I misread your mail - sorry!

-Rob

--