[openstack-dev] [qa] trimming down Tempest smoke tag

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Thu Apr 30 17:39:32 UTC 2015

On 04/30/2015 12:53 PM, Matt Riedemann wrote:
<snip>
> Yeah why would you not include admin tests?  Like listing services and
> hosts in nova?

It is extremely easy to say "why not include *, it's valid function" and
we're going to end up with an hour long smoke test.

At some point, you have to cut. Nova... can you boot a server, cool. Can
it get on the network? Glance, can I feed you an image and it looks like
it works. Great. Keystone, you do something with users right, can I add one?

There are so many features in OpenStack that we need to be aggressive on
keeping this paired down.

My thought is Smoke is not intended to be validation your cloud is
working. It's validation that the cloud isn't a giant pile of fail. It
might be a medium pile of fail, but some basic ops are working, so
that's cool.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague